A Student Branch gives students the opportunity to meet and learn from fellow students, as well as faculty members and professionals in the field. An active IEEE Student Branch can be one of the most positive elements in a department offering programs in IEEE designated fields of Engineering, Computer Science and Information Technology and others as listed at http://www.ieee.org/web/membership/qualifications/qualifications.html. IEEE Student Branches are established at over 1500 universities and colleges throughout the world. Student Branch activities offer numerous educational, technical, and professional advantages of IEEE membership through special projects, activities, meetings, tours and field trips. Listed below are some programs and projects that keep students interested in the Branch and its activities and their chosen profession:.
- participation in regional conferences, workshops and competitions
- development of leadership, interpersonal and team building skills
- participation in awards, scholarships and project/design programs and student paper contests
- establishment of a Student Branch Library with IEEE's publications
- access IEEE online services and resources
- establish a web site
Establishing an IEEE Student Branch requires the signatures of 12 IEEE Student members on a petition. The petition must specify the name of the Branch, and the names of the Interim Student Chair and faculty member who will serve as Counselor of the Branch. The petition must also be approved by the Department Chair and two faculty members, who are also IEEE members above student grade. Submit the petition to IEEE MGA Administration to begin the approval process, which includes verification of the IEEE membership of the students and the faculty members on the petition, review of the programs offered at the educational institution, review and approval by the IEEE Regional Director and the Regional Student Activities Committee Chair.
1. Host a membership drive: order your new membership materials and welcome prospective members to your first event/meeting: http://ewh.ieee.org/forms/md/supplies-ondemand.php
2. Establish your official IEEE hosted website: http://sites.ieee.org/hosting/
3. Keep track of your yearly activities and remember to report them no later than 1 November annually via: https://sbr.vtools.ieee.org/. You will want to keep your Student Branch identification code handy for reporting purposes.
4. IEEE has so many program and opportunities, many questions that you may have can be found via the IEEE Support Center web presence: https://supportcenter.ieee.org/
5. Be sure to visit the IEEE Student Activities webpage as it provides direct access to IEEE benefits, training, scholarships, competitions and much more – www.ieee.org/students
6. Appoint your committee chairs
7. Determine your fundraising ideas
8. Schedule your activities
9. Create your web page and social media pages
10. Recruit new members and volunteers
11. Join IEEE Collabratec (http://bit.ly/1VBrCpb) and invite your new members to join too!
12. Don't forget to visit www.ieee.org/students!
13. See the WhatsAPP group , there are pictures of events.